Delhi : The Treasury Is Empty, The Challenge Is To Run The Mcd Better

Civic Centre, Delhi

Civic Centre, Delhi
– Photo: Amar Ujala

listen to the news

The Aam Aadmi Party is now in possession of the power of the MCD which has been reduced from three to one. Now the new leadership also has the difficult challenge of running the MCD optimally with the empty coffers. At present, about 72 per cent of the total budget of the corporation is spent on the salaries of the employees. In such a situation, the remaining 28 percent budget is not sufficient for the important development works of the corporation.

For any new initiative in the corporation, the new leadership will have to arrange additional budget first. In the municipal elections, the people of Delhi have given absolute majority to the Aam Aadmi Party. Now Delhi has a truly double engine government. Therefore, now in front of you are improvements in cleanliness, elimination of mountains of garbage, regular payment of salaries to corporation employees every month, pension to retired employees, regularization of contract workers, curbing corruption, construction in unauthorized areas. There are many more important challenges like regularization of houses. Before the elections, the party had promised to do all these works to the people of Delhi, but to complete these works, they will have to increase the budget of the corporation first.

Where does the MCD budget come from now?
The biggest source of income of MCD is property tax. Along with depositing it, MCD collects toll tax. RP Cell, Advertisement Department, Factory Licensing Department, Central Licensing Department, Land and State Department, Public Health Licensing Department and Building Department also earn income through fees. The MCD earns some income from its two large waste to energy parks. MCD receives Rs 4400 crore as annual grant from the Delhi government.

Special statistics of three corporations of the country

  • BMC: This year’s budget on a population of about 125 crores is about Rs 46000 crores
  • Indore: This year’s budget is about Rs 7262 crore on a population of about 20 lakhs.
  • MCD: This year’s budget on about two crore population is about Rs 15276 crore
Apart from cleanliness, the responsibility of education and health is also there.

97% of Delhi’s area comes under the MCD area. Three per cent of the area comes under the New Delhi Municipal Council and the Delhi Cantonment Board. The population of the MCD area is around two crore. Thus it is the largest corporation in the world, which apart from cleaning the city, runs 1535 primary schools and 10 hospitals. Maintains thousands of parks. The MCD has more roads than the Delhi government, whose maintenance and installation of street lights is its responsibility. The current budget of the corporation is not sufficient to spend on these. MCD spends the most on the salary of the cleaning staff, the second largest part is spent on the salary and maintenance of the school staff.

MCD’s budget is less as per requirement
After integration, the MCD had released a budget of Rs 15267 crore for 2022-23. The MCD administration has also prepared a separate budget for the financial year. It will be made public soon. According to MCD officials, the current budget is around the same as the previous budget. This new budget of MCD is expected to come in the first meeting of the House. After this, the new leadership can reshuffle it.

Expansion

The Aam Aadmi Party is now in possession of the power of the MCD which has been reduced from three to one. Now the new leadership also has the difficult challenge of running the MCD optimally with the empty coffers. At present, about 72 per cent of the total budget of the corporation is spent on the salaries of the employees. In such a situation, the remaining 28 percent budget is not sufficient for the important development works of the corporation.

For any new initiative in the corporation, the new leadership will have to arrange additional budget first. In the municipal elections, the people of Delhi have given absolute majority to the Aam Aadmi Party. Now Delhi has a truly double engine government. Therefore, now in front of you are improvements in cleanliness, elimination of mountains of garbage, regular payment of salaries to corporation employees every month, pension to retired employees, regularization of contract workers, curbing corruption, construction in unauthorized areas. There are many more important challenges like regularization of houses. Before the elections, the party had promised to do all these works to the people of Delhi, but to complete these works, they will have to increase the budget of the corporation first.

Where does the MCD budget come from now?

The biggest source of income of MCD is property tax. Along with depositing it, MCD collects toll tax. RP Cell, Advertisement Department, Factory Licensing Department, Central Licensing Department, Land and State Department, Public Health Licensing Department and Building Department also earn income through fees. The MCD earns some income from its two large waste to energy parks. MCD receives Rs 4400 crore as annual grant from the Delhi government.

Special statistics of three corporations of the country

  • BMC: This year’s budget on a population of about 125 crores is about Rs 46000 crores
  • Indore: This year’s budget is about Rs 7262 crore on a population of about 20 lakhs.
  • MCD: This year’s budget on about two crore population is about Rs 15276 crore

Apart from cleanliness, the responsibility of education and health is also there.

97% of Delhi’s area comes under the MCD area. Three per cent of the area comes under the New Delhi Municipal Council and the Delhi Cantonment Board. The population of the MCD area is around two crore. Thus it is the largest corporation in the world, which apart from cleaning the city, runs 1535 primary schools and 10 hospitals. Maintains thousands of parks. The MCD has more roads than the Delhi government, whose maintenance and installation of street lights is its responsibility. The current budget of the corporation is not sufficient to spend on these. MCD spends the most on the salary of the cleaning staff, the second largest part is spent on the salary and maintenance of the school staff.

MCD’s budget is less as per requirement

After integration, the MCD had released a budget of Rs 15267 crore for 2022-23. The MCD administration has also prepared a separate budget for the financial year. It will be made public soon. According to MCD officials, the current budget is around the same as the previous budget. This new budget of MCD is expected to come in the first meeting of the House. After this, the new leadership can reshuffle it.

Leave a Comment